Hi there! I’m so excited to be back with my friends at No Place Like Home to share some of the most amazing cookie recipes that you will find on the internet! We are each sharing our favorite, so make sure to check out the links to their recipes at the end of this post.
Back when we lived overseas, I used to sell Mexican food at a local market with a friend of mine. One of the most popular treats we sold was this Mexican hot chocolate cookie.
Have you ever had Mexican hot chocolate? It’s similar to the hot chocolate you grew up with, but it’s chocked full of cinnamon and other spices. It has so much flavor, and these cookies taste just like it.
This chocolate cookie recipe uses Mexican hot chocolate tablets that you can find on some Mexican or International aisles at the grocery store or you can order it online.
My kids are huge cinnamon fans, and they absolutely love these cookies. If I’m making them for my kids, I leave the cayenne out. The pepper gives them a nice kick, but they are not overly spicy. They remind me a lot of Starbucks new Chile Mocha drink that has been so popular this fall.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 ounces Mexican Chocolate
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/175 degrees C
- Roughly chop the Mexican chocolate, and melt it and the butter in a double boiler or the microwave, stirring frequently. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Beat the brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla, and eggs with a mixer on low until combined.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa, cinnamon, chili powder, baking soda, salt, and cayenne into the wet mixture and mix on low just until combined.
- Pour in the chocolate chips and mix by hand.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour and up to 48 hours.
- Scoop 24 balls of dough onto 3 large cookie sheets (8 balls of dough per sheet).
- Bake for 8 minutes, rotate, and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on a wire rack before serving.
What do you think? I really love the sweet and spicy combo, like with the strawberry rhubarb chipotle jam I shared this summer. I know the Mexican hot chocolate cookie recipe may seem a little different, but you won’t regret making it! Are you up for trying it?
Don’t forget to check out the other cookie recipes that are being shared today! Don’t they look amazing?
If you like this post, I’d love to stay in touch! You can sign up to receive my emails here. Email subscribers have exclusive access to my printables library that I’m adding to all the time. Check it out a few of the printables available below. Or, if you’d prefer, I’d love to also connect on social media. Those buttons are on the top right-hand side of the page! Hope to see you again!!!